Saturday, April 25, 2009

2009 NFL First Round (Picks 1-10)

Here are my thoughts on the top 10 players taken, and brief look at the rest of the first round.
  1. Lions - Matt Stafford (QB) - I'm not sure why he is so highly regarded. Even though he was surrounded by some very talented players at Georgia, he never did anything. A strong arm and good size will only get you so far, just ask Ryan Leaf and Josh Freeman after Tampa Bay discards him. I am quite sure he is no Matt Ryan, who was surrounded by marginal talent at BC.
  2. St. Louis - Jason Smith (OT) - Over the past few years, I've watched quite a few B12 games, but I never noticed this kid. To be honest, I don't typically notice offensive lineman anyways. Because he used to play some tight end, I would expect him to be pretty athletic.
  3. Kansas City - Tyson Jackson (DE) - In the 2001 draft, the Chiefs took Eric Browning (DT) with their first pick of the draft in the third round. In 2002, they took Ryan Sims (DT) with the #6 pick. In 2004, they took Junior Siavii (DT) with their first pick (#36 in the second round). In 2006, they took Tamba Hali (DE) with the 20th pick. In 2007, they took Turk McBride (DE - 2nd round, 54th overall) and DeMarcus Tyler (DT - 3rd round, 82nd overall). In 2008, they take Glenn Dorsey (DT) with the 5th pick. In 2009, you guessed it, they take Tyson Jackson (DE) with the third pick. Enough already with the defensive linemen. It's not working you lame dicks.
  4. Seattle - Aaron Curry (LB) - They were probably thinking WTF?!? when this guy fell to them. I expect him to be solid but not spectacular. Maybe a few pro bowls and some all-pro teams.
  5. NY Jets - Mark Sanchez (QB) - After giving up almost all of their picks for the next decade to move up, the Jets took Sanchez. The 2009 version of Matt Leinart.
  6. Cincinatti - Andre Smith (OT) - This guys a schlub. He'll fit right in with the circus in Cincinatti. This pick guarantees that this will be Marvin Lewis' last year.
  7. Oakland - Darrius Heyward-Bey (WR) - You think they might take Crabtree or Maclin? Nope. The circus continues.
  8. Jacksonville - Eugene Monroe (OT) - Now, if they only had a QB for him to block for.
  9. Green Bay - B.J. Raji (DT) - For some reason, I just don't see defensive linemen, and in particular defensive tackles, being the pillars of a defense. If I were a general manager, I would never take defensive lineman with a top-20 pick. See the Chiefs discussion above for a recent success story.
  10. San Francisco - Michael Crabtree (WR) - He will take a few years to develop. Hopefully he doesn't sign a deal for more than 3 years. Without a decent QB to throw to him, he will become a malcontent.
None of these guys will be worth the money teams have to spend on them. An exception may be found in one or both of the OTs taken (Monroe & Smith). Apart from Crabtree, I doubt we'll be hearing much about any of the skill players taken in the top 10 three years from now. I liked Denver picking Moreno, but then I remembered Shanahan is gone. With Maclin, Philadelphia either got Rocket Ismail or Eric Metcalf. I liked Indy's CT pick. Overall, there seemed to be a lot of defensive players picked and way too many defensive linemen went in the first round. What is it about defensive linemen? I don't understand it. I think 5 years down the road Donald Brown could be seen as the best player that came out of the first round. But, I am probably completely wrong and Darrius Heyward-Bey will already be a first ballot hall of famer.

1 comment:

  1. I liked your post. Particulary the Chiefs rewind... It's one of those "you can't make this stuff up" kind of things. Of course, my heart tells me that even Al Davis can only be wrong so many times. Although is Al Davis always wrong? He did get Randy Moss for nothing and he did land Bo Jackson at one time. I'd say its more likely he ruins people than picks bad. Maybe Al Davis passes this year (RIP) and Bey goes on to be the greatest reciever of all time. Kudos on the Leinart analogy too. Although he probably wouldn't have been such a good punchline if his backup when he started wasn't one of the best 5 QB's in the league.

    ReplyDelete