Wednesday, July 22, 2009

What did I miss?

This is a post about posts. Its basically just an idiotic bunch of thoughts I've had when I was researching the post on winners and losers by watching my son's little league season. It just finished tonight and I'd have to say never been more proud of my oldest son as when he started crying after the loss. It wasn't that pussy crying either, it was that manly grimace that says just because tears are rolling down my face doesn't mean I'm crying. So he lost and he cried and as a first year player at age 8 (which to my surprise is a bit of a rarity now) he did bat towards the end of the lineup. Seems like a loser to me by the accounts of one "That's It." I consider myself pretty self aware and if my kid was a loser I think I could admit that, particularly with the defense that it would in this case be mostly his father's fault who's honed his son's Halo skills much more than his long ball. So I may lose the friendship of "That's It" by saying this, but surprising even to me, I support the trophies for everyone idea (to a point). I support telling everyone they are a winner if they go out there and really give it their best. I know what it means to be a winner and a loser, maybe one more than the other. The thing is we know who the best players on the team are. We know who the worst players on the team are. We don't necessarily needed to be reminded before the high school years. I was appalled by this everyone's a winner idea when I first heard about it. After one season of little league I realize the real losers are the coaches that our look like their heads our about to burst like a super volcano as they are screaming at their 8 year old kids for missing a ball even though he's obviously the best player on the team because he practices 2 hours everyday. In my boat that coach is in the same league as the kid (loser) I saw laugh after every swing before whiffing at the 6th strike (yes 6!!!) and then laughed all the way to the dugout. So if my son is crying because he can't play baseball anymore this year, well that in itself makes him a winner in my book. So long as he doesn't make everybody at the ballpark look at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment